Vatari Ras - Benefits, Usage, Indications and Dosage
Reference: Bhavaprakasha Vatavyadhi Adhikara (Neurological disorders) 360-364, AFI Vol. 1 20:46
Vatari Ras is an Ayurvedic medicine available in tablet or powder form. It is used in the treatment of diseases due to the Vata imbalance like neuritis, arthritis, paralysis etc. This medicine contains heavy metal ingredients, hence should only be taken under strict medical supervision.
- Shuddha Parada – Purified Mercury – 10 g
- Shuddha Gandhaka – Purified Sulphur – 20 g
- Haritaki – Chebulic Myrobalan fruit rind – Terminalia chebula – 30 g
- Vibhitaki – Belliric Myrobalan fruit rind – Terminalia bellirica – 30 g
- Amalaki – Indian gooseberry fruit – Emblica officinalis. – 30 g
- Chitraka - Plumbago zeylanica – 40 g
- Guggulu – (gum resin) – Commiphora mukul 50 g
- Castor oil – Ricinus communis – quantity sufficient
Method of Preparation
All the ingredients are grounded with castor oil, made into paste and tablets are made.
Take 250 – 500 mg once or twice a day, before or after food or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor. It is traditionally administered along with decoction of Castor root and Ginger.
- Facial palsy
- This medicine should be strictly taken only under medical supervision.
- Self-medication with this medicine may prove to be dangerous, since it contains heavy metal ingredient.
- Take this medicine in precise dose and for limited period of time, as advised by doctor.
- Over-dosage may cause severe poisonous effect.
- It is best avoided in pregnancy, lactation and in children.
- Keep out of reach and sight of children.