What Is Insulin Resistance And Prediabetes?
Insulin is one of the important hormones secreted in the body which plays an important role in pushing glucose into the cells of the body and provides them the energy to work. Pancreas is the organ responsible for producing insulin and if it is not working properly then the insulin production is hindered. Pancreas has beta cells that are located in islets of langerhans which are responsible for production of insulin. In this study we are going to discuss insulin resistance and prediabetes and what are the precautions to be taken at prediabetic stage.
Insulin is one of the most important hormones in the body and if there is a lack of insulin in the body it may lead to diabetes. Diabetes is one of the most occurring diseases in the body whose important feature is high blood sugar levels in the body. Body glucose is one of the main constituents which provides energy to the whole body to work. As we read that insulin makes the glucose come into play and provides energy but if its secretion in the body decreases then glucose is not used up and gets accumulated in the body. This leads to high blood glucose levels and which later on lead to diabetes. Now let's discuss insulin resistance and how it affects our life.
What is Insulin Resistance?
Insulin resistance is the condition when our body's fat, muscles and liver are not responding properly to the insulin which further leads to restricted uptake of glucose from the blood. Due to this the glucose levels in the body increase which stimulates pancreas to produce more glucose and leads to high glucose levels. When insulin resistance is associated with these four conditions like obesity, high cholesterol, hgh blood pressure and type 2 diabetes then it is known as insulin resistance syndrome and which is life threatening if not managed at time. Now let's discuss the causes, risk factors and symptoms of insulin resistance in the body.
Causes Of Insulin Resistance
Following are some risk factors that leads to insulin resistance:
- Gestational diabetes
- Inactive lifestyle
- Family history of diabetes
- Diet rich in carbohydrates
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Sleep apnea
Symptoms Of Insulin Resistance
The insulin resistance is not associated with the symptoms known by you but it includes various associated conditions that are evaluated with examination only. The conditions are as follows:
- Waist over 40 inches in men and 35 in women
- High blood pressure levels that is more than 130/80
- Fasting blood sugar levels that is more than 100 mg/dL
- Fasting levels of triglycerides that is more than 150 mg/dL
- Good cholesterol levels 50 mg/dL
What is Prediabetes?
Prediabetes is considered as the precondition of diabetes in which the blood glucose levels are high but not so much that we can name it as diabetes. Prediabetes occurs in case if a person already has insulin resistance and there is a less production of insulin by the beta cells of the pancreas. And if there is less insulin in the body then extra glucose accumulated in the body and overtime it turned into diabetes. 1 out of 3 adults prediabetes is the reason for worry as a health concern. So the time period of developing diabetes from the time the blood glucose levels are remaining high is considered as prediabetes.
Precautions To Be Taken At Prediabetc Stage
If someone is diagnosed with prediabetes then it must be a matter of worry and an alarming bell for diabetes. But it's a time period for you to turn things back to normal for avoiding the condition of diabetes. Here are some things that a person should follow to prevent themselves from the condition of diabetes.
- Move more: More physically active schedule leads to less chance of diabetes. If it's taking time to bring yourself towards exercise then start doing some routine activities that should be performed with more interest. Physical activity is one of the essential parts of the management options for prediabetes by lowering the blood sugar levels that aids in decreasing body fat. So I must exercise for at least 30 mins/day.
- Lower your weight: As we read earlier, prediabetes is associated with being overweight so it's important to reduce the weight for preventing yourself from diabetes.
- Eat better: Start eating vegetables that are free from starch as starch is the main source of glucose. So you must prefer to eat vegetables such as spinach, carrots, broccoli, and green beans that are for 3 servings per week. Add high fiber food to your diet, add 1-3 servings of fruits per day and add whole grain food instead of processed one like replacing brown rice in place of white rice.
- Take a good sleep: A good sleep is important to keep yourselves healthy and the same is applied in case of preventing diabetes in a prediabetc stage. If you take less sleep it also leads to hindrance in uptake of insulin thus leads to type 2 diabetes. So it is a must to set good sleep habits like get up early in the morning and go to sleep timely.
So these are some precautions one should definitely keep in mind while prediabetic condition.
In this article we mentioned insulin resistance, prediabetes and how one should prevent themselves from diabetes. Insulin is one of the important hormones secreted in the body which plays an important role in pushing glucose into the cells of the body and provides them the energy to work. Insulin resistance is the condition when our body's fat, muscles and liver are not responding properly to the insulin which further leads to restricted uptake of glucose from the blood. Prediabetes is considered as the precondition of diabetes in which the blood glucose levels are high but not so much that we can name it as diabetes. So to prevent yourselves from diabetes one must have to take precaution in their diet and lifestyle. So read this article to gain knowledge about what insulin resistance and prediabetes is and how to prevent yourselves from diabetes at the stage of prediabetes.